Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The beginning of the end...week 7

O.k. so when I was in 10th grade history I had this teacher who insisted we memorize quotations for tests. I still have some of them on tap actually, and after reading this post by John Bell, I couldn't help but think of it. Winston Churchill said of WWII,
 "Now this is not the end. This is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
I feel that way when I see forecasts of social media and public relations Doomsday posts like this. I mean, maybe I have a limited perspective, but I honestly feel there is still soo much to do with the model of PR that we have now, still so much we can accomplish, that if we are continually looking into the future for the next big thing, we might miss something happening right now. For instance, not only in class, but in a book I was reading for my research paper, there has been discussion on a way to effectively quantify results of public relations campaigns. Why aren't we rectifying the fact that we can't? Instead of conceding to marketing or communications in general, why not try to finalize what has been plaguing our profession since its inception?

I think often times, people get excited about new media and things like that and they are ready to throw away PR as it is, but it's not so imperfect as to be ineffective. Plus I mean, I haven't even graduated yet, and Bell just added another year of school...oh well, at least I know right?

No comments: