Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009...Welcome!

2009 is finally here!...well I mean like 6 hours ago lol. I am really looking forward to all that God has in store for me with this one, because 2008 was dope! I think one of the things I learned that has stuck with me the most over this past year is the importance of being yourself. I have always struggled with this a bit because I have this weird ability where I can assimilate into any group I'm around. Like still be me, I mean personality wise, but like I know or easily discover cultural mores and habits, I pick up accents easily, little things like that that put other people at ease around me. And I do this without thinking, as my girlfriend (new as of October 08!) describes it, it's like a light switch. I can flick it on when I need to, off when I don't. But I've learned that sometimes I'll get so caught up in my flicking that switch off and on and on and off, I forget who's behind the switch in the first place! I've always been one to hang with like almost every kind of person,that's just who I am. I get along with some of everybody, and can usually handle confrontations discreetly while remaining in good rapport with those I may happen to disagree with. In college, I have friends who drink, don't drink, smoke, don't smoke, exercise everyday, or are couch potatoes etc. Being around all these different kinds of people adds depth to my experiences, because I recognize different points of view even within as small a population as Ada.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I usually do not make New Year's resolution because I think they are a waste of energy and they are cliche, but this year I am resolving to BE MYSELF. I'm 21. I know what I like, and what I don't like. Granted there are still tons of new things out there for me to experience but I am no longer simple conforming to any old thing. I'm better than that, and I know better than that.I can be and normally am a fairly stubborn person, and I'm planning on putting that stubborness into full effect. I am no longer going to allow myself to be peer pressured. I don't exactly know what I want out of life but I do know what I don't want. So goodbye 2008, hello 2009, old things are passed away yo! All things are new!

...I might need to get some new shoes too :)

No comments: