Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why I like and tweet Top Chef

Top Chef for me has been insight into a world I didn't have the courage enough to pursue entry to on my own. There I said it. I was scared. I was scared I wouldn't be good enough. That was the summer before senior year of high school, when I switched my career hopes from Executive Chef of my own restaurant, to Music Director of my high school. If only I knew then that the desire would never fade. And that in college I would gain the strength of character needed to succeed in any field, especially cooking.

I have always loved cooking, and have sorta always been good at it a bit. It started out like it does with most people, make some good pancakes and your fam thinks you're a food prodigy and keeps asking for more lol. But since I thought my future was more secure in music education(?), I only applied to one culinary school and everywhere else was music focused. I actually got in to Johnson & Wales, NC but I decided that was good enough for me and put it in the back of my mind. Now, four years and a major switch later, I watch Top Chef to see people do what I still long to. I have actually been contemplating going back to school for a culinary education after undergrad, and working in PR or freelance writing while I do. But in the end, I have a strong feeling I will again go the "secure" route and continue my trek to law school. Its not that I don't want to do it, but in my heart of hearts I think I love doing it because I'm not a professional. Who knows though, I might just forego my security and follow my heart, but I doubt it.

oh and I tweet along with Top Chef because looking at the comments on plodt.com afterwards is hilarious!!

2 comments:

Courtenay said...

That's so funny cause that's totally how I feel about dance. I didn't have the courage to pursue it for real. Not that'd I'd ever admit that outloud, wait...

Evan Roberts said...

Yea Corky, Dance and Cooking still have a place in our hearts.

smartdeals.com, idk WHAT you are talking about but I guess if online shopping is dear to your heart, at least you have the guts to pursue it regardless of the relevance to my post LOL