Sunday, January 4, 2009

iPhone 3G=Unlocked, Dev=Unlucky

Yo I don't usually post at this time of night because most of the blogs I follow post in the morning and I think that's a great way to do it, fresh thoughts for the day and what not. But on the way home from picking my big Sis up from work, I heard on the radio about Dev, the team who hacked the iPhone 3G. Apparently they've been having some trouble with a Jody Sanders, who has been selling their freeware(modified) to unlock the iPhones for profit.

I'm gonna guess that Dev is just going to have to take a hit on this one, unless they can sufficiently prove that Jody stole something they had patented, which they can't. Dev is basically the new NetZero, giving away for free what people are ready and willing to pay for. Although it is really altruistic to distribute software like unlocking applications for free so that the world can use iPhones and not just AT&T customers, it is also currently illegal, because of licensing contracts Apple has with AT&T. And although they probably will not be prosecuted, they also aren't making any money off something that probably took hundreds of hours to do. Dev should get smart and take down yellowsnOw until they can get a patent or something so they can sell it at a price they think is fair for consumers. It is only a matter of time before Apple and AT&T's contract runs out and with all the problems Apple has had with AT&T's infrastructure and service, I doubt they will be renewing it when they can exponentially increase iPhone sales by selling them unlocked.

This coming from the guy who doesn't even have a cell phone :)

1 comment:

Professor Alisa Agozzino said...

Evan... I want to connect my tweets to my blog. Need your help. You seem to have it figured out