Monday, March 30, 2009

Gracious

"If this is where the monarchy is headed, count me out!" -Zazu (The Lion King)

These words are spoken by the animated bird Zazu in my favorite Disney film, The Lion King, about the future of the animal kingdom under the direction of the new regime. This weekend, I participated in an annual ritual held by the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), in order to elect our own new regime and continue the progression of our organization into the future. 

I ran for Vice President of Advocacy, a position dealing with diversity and advocating for the overall ethical practices of PRSSA. I lost. I then made the decision to run from the floor for the Vice President of Public Relations position. I wrote my speech in around 20 minuntes during the break for lunch, as I had taken the beginning of the break to lie down. I feel that normally I am not a good public speaker at all, and in the case of my two speeches, I was so nervous I was shaking, hopefully not visibly. 

My hope is that my passion for this organization and our profession shone through, even though I was not elected the second time I ran either. I feel I lost to two highly qualified and respectable candidates who will do the job they were elected to do, and do it well. Janelle, I feel, has the right attitude, experience and knowledge to lead this Society's efforts towards realizing our goals of a more diverse and ethical student organization. Plus, who can beat planning a b-day bash for the King of Thailand?

Jason is also going to be a strong National Committe member. Anyone who will check every single link on the PRSSA Web site, number the amount of links that don't work and is able to figure out the HTML code correction without seeing it, should also be able to figure out the best way to advocate for PRSSA not only to its own members, but also to the world at large. I believe Jason has shown the ability to do that, and without question, the drive it takes to succeed. 

All in all, I feel I represented my ideas, my university and most of all myself, with nothing but distinction. In fact, if what I hear is correct, this was not only the smoothest running Assembly, but also we had the most qualified pool of candidates to choose from of the most recent years. I believe it will show with the coming administration. And if this is where PRSSA is headed, count me in.

Congratulations to the 2009-2010 PRSSA National Committee!!

No comments: