Monday, April 20, 2009

Social Media Strategery

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend the 2009 PaRtners Conference, an annual day-conference held at a Central Ohio school by one of the many PRSSA Chapters in the area. This year it was at Capital University and Rachelle Tackach, Cheryl Harrison and the rest of the Capital PRSSA team did a great job! I feel like I learned the most at Jamie Timm's session on social media strategy. What follows are several of the points that I found to be the most insightful. 

Planning
  1. Find out where your audience is
  2. You don't have to use/be on every social media tool
  3. Know that the results may not be immediate, because any good campaign still takes time
  4. ROI is still important; Just needs to be explained differently
How to present the campaign to Managers
  1. Structure your presentation
  2. Know the problem
  3. Know the (Manager's/Company's) "hot buttons" (Sales, ROI, Awareness etc.)
  4. Know the competitive landscape
  5. Present the Why, How, and Outcomes in your organization's language
  6. Have reasons and research to back it all up 
  7. Keep it to 1 page (Do NOT brain dump!)
Determine the Outcomes
Do you want to...?
  1. Create Affinity
  2. Diminish Negativity
  3. Position your org. as a credible source
  4. New Product Development
  5. Obtain 3rd Party endorsements
  6. Build trust/strong relationships
  7. Increase exposure/awareness
  8. Trigger a response/action
  9. Meet a budget/timeline
Overall, I feel like I gained a lot of good information that I can use in future classes/campaigns/projects. It's great the Jamie presented this session, especially because as a Millennial, I will be expected to have knowledge of social media tools and it will be even better if I can use them effectively in a campaign. Score 1 for my future!

No comments: