Thursday, May 28, 2009

NCORE 2009: Job Search tips

 I am currently in San Diego, CA at the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE) with a group of students from ONU. While here, I will be posting some of the things that I learn that stand out to me, particularly in relation to public relations, professional development and things that I can use to help groups I am in understand and improve their diversity.

Today I attended a preconference Institute session that dealt with finding a job in a tight job market. Brian Guerrero of the University of California, San Diego and Marc Johnston from the University of Arizona led the session. They provided many great insights into the job search and one thing I found particularly interesting was their suggestions for networking and also for negotiating salaries.

Networking:

·      Use it to maintain connections and gather information

·      Social networks count!

·      At networking events, place your name tag on the right side of your body

·      Organize your business cards and contacts in Excel

Negotiating Salary:

·      Be prepared to be direct and assertive

·      Express genuine interest

·      Determine if negotiation is necessary

·      Ask yourself “How did I calculate my necessary salary?”

·      Have reasons for changing the offer

·      Get offer in writing

·      Negotiate other things if salary is not flexible (benefits, stock options, professional development, one-time extras)

Although there were many more tips presented, I felt these are the ones that are the most universal and applicable for me. I will be adding more from other sessions as time allows. 

No comments: