Monday, November 16, 2009

10 Ways to Know You're a PR Student


So true to my word, I am posting today to start this week off right! I'm have to give a bit of credit first as this post is inspired by a presentation to ONU PRSSA by Aaron Brown of Fahlgren Mortine Public Relations. [Also, this is meant to be funny and in no way reflects on the views of Fahlgren Mortine, Aaron Brown, PRSSA, Twitter, ONU PRSSA, Your Mom, My Mom, Puerto Ricans, nor does it truly depict characteristics of real-life college public relations students...unless it does ;)]

10. You check the AP Stylebook before making comments on Facebook.

9. You know "#PRStudChat" has nothing to do with Puerto Rican hotties.

8. You always know the news two days before it comes out (or at least that's what your friends think).

7. You think college is the perfect time to "experiment" (with SPIN!!!).

6. You've attempted to make your own "personal brand" and will probably go through "rebranding" next quarter.

5. You are on the only one in your group of friends who is on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedInYouTube, PROpenMic, Flickr, Google Wave, Blogger and still have a MySpace account in case it makes a comeback. (ED - Add Instagram, Google+, about.me, tumblr, a Wordpress blog, Foursquare, Path and Quora to this list).

4. You taught yourself SEO by Twitter searching your name (and were extremely disappointed with the results). (ED - You only think you know SEO. No one really does).

3a. You joined PRSSA to meet girls (Guys).

3b. You joined PRSSA, sadly only to meet more girls (Girls).

2. You get irritated when people spell Web site wrong (because it's the only AP StyleBook rule you memorized and they need to get it RIGHT!) (ED - They've since caved and changed it to "website." So much for your education.)

And the number one way to tell if you're a PR Student:
1. You know there is zero news value in this post whatsoever! (ED - Even two years later it still doesn't.)

And that's how E "C"s it! lol

(side note: CONTEST!- Anyone who finds a spelling or grammatical error in this post gets FOUR RT's from me next week! Leave corrections in the Comments area.) (ED - worst contest ever lol).

19 comments:

Natalyn Giverson said...

First, this cracked me up! Most of these are so true about my life.

Second, in regards to your challenge, in the second sentence, you said, "I'm have to give a bit of credit..." I do believe this should be, "I have to..." or something of the like.

There a few others, but your deal states a grammatical or spelling error in return for four RT's. I wouldn't want to take more than my share. :-)

Thanks for the entertaining read! Good luck on finals!

Evan E. Roberts said...

Thanks for the comment Natty and Good catch! That's the first one and for catching it, you've won four (4) RT's from me courtesy of the new retweet function on Twitter!!

Jocelle Untalan said...

5. You are on the only one in your group of friends who is on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, PROpenMic, Flickr, Google Wave, Blogger and still have a MySpace account in case it makes a comeback.

- Is it "You are the only one..."

Haha. Loved the post! Always keep me laughing!

Evan E. Roberts said...

Jocelle- YES! you got the second one and are the winner of four (4) RT's from me via the new retweet function on Twitter!

Thanks for commenting and for playing :)

Dr. Bey-Ling Sha said...

Is it fair for professors to comment? You wrote in #2 "AP StyleBook," and it should be "AP Stylebook."

Evan E. Roberts said...

Dr. Sha- Yes it is fair! I was hoping someone would get that one, especially since I wrote it correctly the first time as a reference! Also if you noticed, the link is to Fake AP Stylebook as a clue :)

You win four (4) RT's from me over the following week, courtesy of the new retweet function on Twitter! Woo Hoo!!

Christa said...

You capitalized "Comment," which I would consider an error.

Great post. How about "you highlight grammar and AP style mistakes in your school newspaper"? (I do that all of the time!)

Evan E. Roberts said...

Christa-Hmm Now that I look at it, yea, that would be wrong lol good catch! For winning, you get four (4) RT's from me this week courtesy of the new retweet feature on Twitter!! Excited? I am!

frankie.mccamley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
frankie.mccamley said...

Seeing as this is pretty American, I have devised my own '10 ways to know you are a UK PR student'
10. You always have 'post its' to hand when reading The Sun to flag up PR stories
9. You are on the only one in your group of friends who is on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, PROpenMic, Flickr, Google Wave, Blogger and still have a MySpace account in case it makes a comeback.
8. Everyone you meet is a placement opportunity.
7. You read PR week for campaign ideas.
6. You know all work is unpaid, the reward is contacts.
5. You have at least 2 Google Mail accounts for your PR agencies created from uni work.
4. You have attempted to create your own brand yet you just need funding to get it started.
3. You know the top 20 PR agencies off by heart.
2. All parties are now considered as networking opportunities.
1. When asked if you have heard of a specific PR person, the answer is always 'yes' whilst you Google them on your Blackberry.

Evan E. Roberts said...

Well done Frankie! I didn't prepare for a prize for a list from another country but I will award you three (3) RT's courtesy of the new retweet function on Twitter!! Thanks for your list lol

Amber said...

You say "You taught yourself SEO by Twitter searching your name (and was extremely disappointed with the results)."

It should be "were extremely disappointed..."

Evan E. Roberts said...

Amber you got the last (I think) one!! Congratulations and pat yourself on the back!

Your prize is four (4) RT's from me courtesy of the new retweet function on Twitter! I look forward to your tweets!!

Gregg said...

I am not a PR major but I do apply to a bunch of those, or want to. Does that mean I need to change my major again?

Kelsey.Giesler said...

I loved reading this post. Thanks for giving me a breath of fresh air during finals week! I think these posts should be more frequent. Not everyone has to be serious all the time and sometimes poking fun can brighten anyones day. Good luck on our finals and have a good Thanksgiving.

Alli said...

Thanks for the laugh, Evan! I think that every PR kid can appreciate this post, even with the errors.

Evan E. Roberts said...

@Gregg- HAHA Yes, please switch your major to PR!! We could use an additional mind like yours buddy lol

@Kelsey- You're most welcome buddy, glad I could lighten your finals load a bit haha

@Alli- I'm glad you enjoyed it yo and the errors were on purpose, for the contest (except the one Christa found) lol

Kim Ciesla said...

HILARIOUS! Well done and so true.

Jessica Lawlor said...

This was absolutely hilarious, especially the Web site one! That literally is the major rule I remember and I get so mad when people use it incorrectly!