Friday, November 20, 2009

Pitch This and Spell Check-New Contests

Hello all!

I have decided that I liked running the spell check contest so much, I'm going to make it a regular thing. Every Monday, I will post about something and place in the post three (3) spelling, grammatical or non-AP Style errors. The first three commentors to correct the errors will receive some sort of prize worthy of their acheivement. Anyone who catchs errors that are not placebo/ on purpose, will receive a different prize– maybe better, maybe worse than the first one, depending on how I feel about it that day.

Also, I am going to try to run another contest throughout the week as well. Every Tuesday I will post a person, product or idea to be pitched to a specified publication. Basic info on the pub will be given, but tailoring the pitch will involve as much or as little research as participants care to apply. Pitches will be sent to my e-mail, and the winning pitch will be posted on the blog every Thursday!

Anyone can comment on the first contest but only current students will have their pitches considered to win. But if any pros want to write one just to "show us how it's done," be my guest!

I am really excited about these two contests because they will not only give us the chance to practice our editing skills and pitching skills, but they also give all of us PR students an outlet to gain experience in a non-threatening environment. And I will not post pitches that do not win, no matter how bad or good they are. This is not the Bad Pitch Blog, this is a student/learning-centered contest.

I really think this can be a fun way to grow and demonstrate our abilities. I'm also looking forward to the competition that follows!

6 comments:

Mary Rose said...

Oooh, fancy. What exactly are the prizes going to be? Can you share with us a few prizes?

Jocelle said...

You are having way too much fun with this. Haha.

Evan E. Roberts said...

Mary Rose, I'm still working on a few of the prizes but I might "re-gift" some of the awesome pens I got at Conference (jk).

Evan E. Roberts said...

Jocelle, does that mean you'll be participating? The first "Pitch This" product is going to be a toughie!

Kim Ciesla said...

Great idea. But, you spelled catches "catchs" in the first paragraph.

Evan E. Roberts said...

LOL Kim, you're an overachiever! But thank you!