Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Killed the Twitter Chat

I used to love them. Signing in to TweetChat at a certain time and instantly being in a conversation with people all interested in the topic of the day. I thought Twitter chats were the best thing ever, being such an easy way to connect with others on Twitter, find new and unique people to follow and a great way to share and discover new ideas. I loved them.

We had some good times too. Remember when #PRstudchat (PR student Chat moderated by Deirdre Breckenridge and Valerie Simon) went trending for the very first time, but other twitter users thought it was a chat about Puerto Rican "studs?!"

But then it got old. I'm not sure where, I'm not sure when, but some time between starting my first job and moving from the eastern time zone, we fell out of love.

Maybe it was me. Maybe it was my lack of effort, because I could easily have set alarms to remind me of when a chat was, or let my coworkers know that participating was essential to me learning and growing while working in social media, so I could take that hour to tweet. I should have submitted topics to the chat mods. I should have used the hashtag more, posted new finds too it and told my friends about it.

But maybe it was them. Maybe it was the same answers to similar questions, over and over with little real solutions. Maybe it was the lack of creativity, or the fact that the UX for Tweetchat feels like a 90s chat room. Maybe it was the bickering, the feel of communities that almost seem to have spent too much time together. Maybe they just became overwhelming, I mean, have you seen this list?! There's always one going on that could be interesting, and sometimes more than one at the same time.

Whatever the reason, I've noticed that due to lack of participation, they seem to be dying off. Sure, a couple of staples are hanging in there, and good for them! Others have moved to a different platform, and it's not only working out, they're thriving . And sadly, others are now the twitter version of link farms. Or better yet, link morgues.

Regardless, I'll take full responsibility. It's not your fault twitter chat, you did nothing wrong. It was me. My apathy did this to you. I took you for granted, and when you weren't giving me what I felt I needed, I stopped showing up for you. I'm sorry, but alas, it's too late.

I'm sad we had to end this way, Twitter chats. Rest in tweets.

Update: I recently gave a Twitter chat another shot and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Maybe it's the chatters, maybe it was the topic, but I think I may have been to eager to kill this particular phenomena. At least, I hope I was. Tweet strong my friends.

No comments: